Friday, July 29, 2005

Everybody's Working Over the Weekend...

So this weekend proves to be a packed one! Tonight I'm trying to get home early and work on my little box project, then my friend from OK is coming in town for her friend's birthday and I'm gonna tag along (one: I want to make sure they don't drink and drive, two: I want to have my car with me if we're going to lower greenville, if you know what I mean). Tomorrow I have class early then I'm going with the SURF kids to the DWA at 11 or so. We're staying until 1 or so, but I hope that means they'll feed us there (the resturant is freaking good)! I'm supposed to go out with another group of people on Saturday night, but I've not heard from them, so I'm not really sure what's going on. On Sunday I have to clean all the windows in my house for my mum so as to pay back a mastercard bill (I like bartering, it leaves me with more cash in the end). I will most likely come into lab sometime over the weekend, so there's that to add on too.

I've decided to really start looking for a job in Austin so I'm going to apply to two different coffee shops (I used to work the esspresso bar at Borders) although I'm not sure if that's realy what I want to do (though I do want ot earn some more cash). I'm also submitting (Matt is too) to a post on the Austin craigslist about writers for a new independent music magazine. It's called Harmonium so we'll see if they want me as a writer or what. This is the meat of their post:

Are you a talented critical writer? Do you love music with every fiber of your being? If so, we would like to hear from you. We are a group of self-labeled music nerds who love and have written about music through a variety of official and unofficial channels for several years. In fact, we spend so much time talking and writing about music that we have decided to embark on the creation of an online music magazine entitled HARMONIUM.
Yes, there are a lot of similar endeavors out there (pitchfork, cokemachineglow and tinymixtapes to name a few), but ours will be more inclusive, more informal and (hopefully) more interesting. At launch (currently slated for september 1), the magazine will be simple, featuring album reviews, interviews and columns with an emphasis on quality music, no matter what inherent mainstream/indie appeal there may be. But the long-range plan is to incorporate an easily-searchable database into the site that will dynamically serve content based on a variety of criteria (band name, album title, song lists, tour dates, etc.).

So that's the idea anyway. I'm not sure what all their ideas about inclusivity, informality, and interest mean, but I thought it might be an outlet to see shows or something and then get to write about it. They want album reviews, which I'm happy to write about, but they should really move out into the more live scene (this is Austin after all) and put in some interviews if possible. I'm submitting a critical sample over How To DJ Right and I hope that they think a book review, much less one about the DJ scene (what do you want to bet that these guys are indie-rock elitist?) will be interesting. I'm working on this strange "top five" thing too: they want a list (with sentence explination of each) of the top five mainstream and bottom five (I guess that means worst five?) independent artists from the past ten years.

I've really only one thing to do at work today but I think I'll stay the whole time because the grad students are giving us a free dinner at 4:00 so I might want to do that, but I'm not sure. I hope everyone has a great weekend and were all almost back to Austin! I can hardly wait to get back. I have a great feeling about this last year!


Work, work, work, all day long...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're coming with me to see lauren e's dance recital saturday night. unless you have different plans. :-*

10:44 AM  
Blogger wcyarbrough said...

We'll see, but it better not last long and there should realy be drinking at those kind of functions...

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the music reviews. I am wondering what they count as mainstream and independent

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://ykthufzw.com/nmug/unjp.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mlobkguk.com/xamf/puqc.html]Cool site[/url]

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://ykthufzw.com/nmug/unjp.html | http://pypzybof.com/zrnt/obua.html

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home