Thursday, July 28, 2005

Brain-Dead Zombies Walk The Lab!

So I've been at work for 1.5 hours and so far, no one has said a word. A few half-hearted smiles were exchanged, and that will sort-of suffice for a "good morning" in this place. It's so strange to watch everyone and see how just gone they look. The lab manager is working on her thesis, the new post doc is wondering when all his stuff he ordered will be in so he can start his really tough experiment, the lab tech is on the phone to figure out something with her daughter's school, the grad student is figuring out class stuff and reading a paper that she has to present in journal club this afternoon, and yours-truly is 200 miles away from here, enjoying his new apartment in the laid-back atmosphere of Austin instead of the rainy, dreary Dallas skyline.

I got to talk to our token Englishman yesterday, and I was glad to find him in good spirits and doing freelance work with AMP magazine as an interviewer of groups, etc. I didn't get a chance to ask about his family (although his brother was there) because they were going to move to Canada (eh?). Matt said it was the most rainy june on record, so one would venture to say that the man felt right at home. I was meaning to ask him about the rash of terrorist activity in England, and to make sure all his family over there were doing ok (his family is from London). His birthday is rapidly coming up (as is my Roomie's) so if you know either gentlemen, buy them a drink when they turn 21.

NASA had to ground the shuttle mission (I'll bet Julie is bummed) but I'm afraid I don't know why (I only have a few headlines this morning). Her job is either going to really slow down, or really speed up! I'm not sure when she switches Labs (or sections or whatever the right term is) for her Fall rotation, but I think we may go to Houston soon to go visit her (and Matt may want to join us) I also wnt to see my Aunt and Uncle and see how things are going for them as well as take the mattress of their hands to use in my room. That reminds me that our new IKEA is opening soon, so I'm gonna go look for a bed.

I think I'm going to start building my DJ case today, it's going to be 19x19x8 and I hope it will work well. I need to look into geting carpet or some kind of covering for the outside and get some hardware for the actual case itself (read: handles, clasps, corner covers, etc.). I need to ut wood on the outside of the frame (David was working with me to figure out the best design) and when I showed Brian what I was looking to do he told me that I should use something called MDF for make the pannels from (he's a construction genius too) so I think I'm going to buy the wood, seal it and then cover/mount it. I think this should be a pretty easy little project if I set myself to it. I don't have a lot to do today but please post something, because I'd love to hear from everyone!


Are we the last living souls?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

The current NASA shuttle wasn't grounded. It took off a day or two ago. Instead, the shuttle program itself was basically suspended until they figure out what keeps going wrong.

Yay for roadtrips and being back in Austin soon!

Boo for not having beds yet :/

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm soooooo looking forward to seeing you this weekend. it has SUCKED being friendless this week. even roomie's cat won't talk to me. slut. i can't wait to dive into some sushi with ya. your chopsticks or mine? ;-)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://oepgofab.com/rabz/gjoa.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://vhrzelif.com/xzcv/etzx.html]Cool site[/url]

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://oepgofab.com/rabz/gjoa.html | http://jzyplqcn.com/htsi/usha.html

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home