Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Days Go By

So I have done what most of my friends do every summer, that is, lose track of time. I was thinking it was Thursday when I got up, only to find it was just Wednesday! I had an interesting weekend filled with art, culture, and a strange drink from Chili's. Things are looking up in my experiment (I think) though I guess I'll know by the end of the week. As a side note to any scientists who may be reading this (Meg, Nick, etc...) I'm having a problem with my DNA: I'm trying to get these two separate pieces of DNA to anneal. I end up with 3 bands where I want one, and then when I ligate them, the pieces don't go in the right orientation (this is from a restriction digest, not sequencing). For the non-science people, that is, everyone normal: I hit a snag with some DNA and I can't get out of it, it should be an easy step and it's being difficult. In other news I have been hanging out with a lot of the SURF kids and they are a odd mix. I got some that are awesome to hang out with, some who I believe actually hate fun and would rather talk on the goddamned phone to friends in their hometowns who they will see in a month, than hang out with cool and interesting people here that want to show them fun things to do in Dallas, and some who believe, fully and without humor that the world is 5000 years old and dinosaurs didn't really exist, and a bunch of other things that most people would find crazy (keep in mind, these people work in SCIENCE!!!!!) so you can see how mixed this all is.

I will be going to Shakespeare in the Park on Thursday, but I may forfeit and try to enlist grad students to come hear Jazz Under the Stars. I hope Spanish wine is enough to entice them to come. I got a blazer yesterday from the Salvation Army of all places, but it's nice, wool and silk, and is a clean charcoal grey that goes well with jeans for a "going out to the club" getup. I've been keeping up with my running and so far I think it's paying off pretty well, but not as fast as I'd like. I'm excited about moving into my apt, though I'm still working on the logistics of getting everything (couch, table, desk, chair, bed, etc.) down to Austin. I'm excited to get my own place finally and Nick and I will keep it clean and neat to the point of gay, I'm sure. With the purchase of a Radeon 9600, there is a fourth member of a little CS team that Nick, Erica, and I will be forming next semester. It should be interesting if nothing else.

I think I will go out and get a suit today or tomorrow as I'm sure I'll need one for the wedding and I'm damned sure I'll need one for (hopefully) any interviews I'll get from medical schools. I think I'll pay a visit to Macy's first then go see my friends Chris and DR at Men's Warehouse. I think a black one but three or two buttons? Post and tell me, I value all your opinions on the matter. In other news, I used three words last night that so rarely come up in conversation: doppelganger, antitranssubstantiationalist, and exacerbated. They're all fun words and I'm vexed that I don't oft get to use them. For those that noticed: great job, and for those that didn't: look at the very top of your window, I forgot that I know HTML and could change that little sucker, so you'll see more random crap up there from time to time.

I almost forgot: I'm looking into getting a bed (hopefully queen) from the new IKEA that's going to open in a few weeks in Frisco. Tell me, which do you think I should get? the Kodal, or the Malm, or the Hopen? I need some imput on this so feel free to post some comments!

Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

That was a strange but addicting drink!

Congrats and good job on the working out! Now if only I could get myself to do the same ;p

You don't think playing CS with she-who-is-unnamed and the rest will be fun?

8:12 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I agree with Katie, the Hopen does look like a park bench; but I like it least.

In the picture, I think the Malm looks like a hotel bed though.

The Kodal looks interesting, but I think I'd have to see it in person to make an actual decision about it. But it kinda looks like your box spring would be naked... I suppose a big comforter would fix that though. Believe it or not, I dislike it least ;p Haha

Does my vote get double points or something?

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home