Saturday, December 10, 2005

Hell Freezes Over

Well, it is now very cold in Austin and most of Texas in general. A shift in the Jet Stream caused a massive cold front down on us. I finally broke out the peacoat that I got years back and started wearing my Manchester United scarf (much to Matt's chagrin as he's a Millwall fan and I won't hold that against him). The canceled classes on Thursday which means all the buildings were locked up and we couldn't get together at the UGL. I still had to go in to school to check my clinical unknowns (just because school closes doesn't mean they stop growing). Funny thing was, the entire lab was there too! That's science for you, it may kill you to drive on icy streets, but damned if you're going to let your plates grow another day.

I've been Xmas shopping (I hate the Jesus, I guess) lately and I'm almost done with everyone! I still have to get Matt his gift, and I need to get a few gifts for Claire, Stephen, etc. though I'm mostly done. I would tell you what I got you (I hate surprises) but in case anyone ever reads this, I'll keep it in the dark. I am starting to get in finals mode now that the semester's coming to an end. We only get one dead day this semester because Thursday's classes that were canceled are re-scheduled for this Tuesday instead (including my lab final). Even though we get Monday off, I still have to go in for two reviews, so that's not much fun. I got gifts yesterday for the two holiday parties I'm going to, one is a white elephant and the other is a "gypsy gift exchange"

From the name you'd thing one person puts all the gifts in a bag and runs off with them but it's played by drawing out a gift, and then unwrapping and passing the bag. The next person can either draw a new gift from the bag, or take the gift someone has. If your gift is taken, you can draw another present from the bag and it is the third person's turn. This continues until everyone if happy with their gift, or a gift has been taken three times (it must stay with the person who has it) then everyone enjoys their gifts.

I've seen a good deal of movies as of late: We went to Alamo to see Chronicles of Narnia. Let me just say, that as a feminist and an atheist, the movie is very heavy handed on the Christianity and the subservience of the female roles. The girls don't get to be in battle and never kill anyone. The rebirth of Aslan is WAY too Jesus-esque and I wasn't happy with the whole references to (in no particular order): death for the sins of others, sacrificial martyrdom, breaking of the stone, resurrection, faith in more ways than I care to count, and the references to the second coming. I don't think I would've seen it had I known. We also went to the Mr. Sinus Theater Show Holiday Special and I laughed until tears were down my face and my head hurt. I really need to go see more Sinus next semester.


Got a snowball's chance

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

You forgot the most important party :(

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home