Monday, June 27, 2005

Paperwork Without the Paper

I got my MCAT scores back and am quite happy with the way it all turned out. I would've liked a little higher score, but still, I think all in all I came out on top. I just finished my Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service (TMDSAS) thing and will now begin a long period of waiting for schools to like me well enough to come talk to me! I have a 30 page application that is done completely on-line (they don't use paper anymore) so it took a while to type it all out. I've got the 30 page app, my MCAT scores, 5 letters of recommendation, a personal statement, my full transcripts, and a large sum of cash that has to go to all the schools I apply to. I'm looking really heavily at UTSouthwestern here in Dallas or the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio. But really, at this point it's just whoever will take me! I have letters from my genetics prof. Dr. Pierson, my immunology prof. Dr. Weiss, my human infectious disease prof. Dr. Field, one from Dr. Munford who is a world renowned infectious disease M.D. that I worked under, and Dr. Weissler, the chief of the pulmonology division in Dallas. Hopefully I'll have enough to pull my GPA out of the mire and present myself to a medical school. My research will help some but not at the initial number crunch in the admissions game.

Most of my friends are in Austin this summer so it's kinda crazy here with not too much to do and a lot of work at lab. I'm flat broke and I don't get paid before the end of the month, so I need that paycheck to pay the bills I've racked up! I got a pair of CD players (DJ equipment) and hopefully making music will be a welcome retreat. I've been reading a lot of papers but not a lot of books, and I hope to change that next month when I don't have journal club! I miss Austin and all the friends and experiences that come with it. I'm at an odd point of my college career right now and I'm not sure how to approach it. I may get a job next semester or do a shadow program at Brackenridge to try and get some money/experience before I get into medical school. Please feel free to call or email me or post comments, as I'd love to hear from all of you!



Summertime, the living's easy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home